- Bulgaria is the only country in Europe that hasn’t changed its name since it was first established in 681 AD.
- Bulgarians invented the first electronic computer, digital watch and car airbag.
- If you’re planning to visit Bulgaria, note that they express approval by shaking their heads and refusal by nodding their heads.
- On the first day of March each year, Bulgarians exchange red-and-white woven bracelets with each other. They wear these Martenitsa bracelets throughout the month, until they see a blooming tree. The bracelets are tied to trees as a way of welcoming springtime. This is a holiday called Baba Marta (“Grandmother March”), and celebrates the passing of winter.
- Nearly one third of Bulgaria is covered in forests.
- Most of the rose oil component in perfumes is produced in the Bulgarian ‘Rose Valley.’
- Rayna Kasabova was a Bulgarian air force pilot and the first woman in the world who participated in a military flight.
- Cyrillic became the third official EU script due to Bulgaria joining the EU on 1st January 2007.
- The oldest hand-made gold item–dated to 4560-4450 BC– was found in The Varna Cemetery, Bulgaria.
10.The Bulgarian Folk Song ‘Izlel e Delio Haidutin’ by Valia Balkanska was sent into deep space as a message to an alien intelligence.
QUIZ- Test Your Bulgarian Knowledge (Answers below)
- What are the colours of the Bulgarian flag?
(a) Red/Green (b) White/Green/Red (c) Red, Blue, Green
2. What is the capital of Bulgaria?
(a) Plovdiv (b) Varna (c) Sofia
3. What is the currency used in Bulgaria?
(a) Lev (b) Euro (c) Hryvnia
4. Which of these is an important symbol of the country?
(a) Tulip (b) Rose (c) Daffodil
5. What is the name of the Bulgarian script?
(a) Cyrillic (b) Latin (c) Runic
6. How many letters are there in the Bulgarian alphabet?
(a) 26 (b) 30 (c) 29
7. What is the current population?
(a) 6.8 million (b) 8.3 million (c) 7.2 million
8. Where is the country located?
(a) Southeastern Europe (b) Northeastern Europe (c) Southwestern Europe
9. Which of these countries does Bulgaria have a border with?
(a) Moldova (b) Albania (c) Macedonia
10. Who is the current Bulgarian Prime Minister?
(a) Dacian Cioloș (b) Boyko Borissov (c) Beata Szydło